It’s the season for Halloween decorations and scary movies. Everyone likes a good scare but nobody enjoys being creeped out. Like a pushy text message to “come on in and shop (we don’t bite)” whenever you walk near a store. Or constant emails about those fancy trainers you Googled one night, haunting your inbox forever and ever. Help!
Here's what's creepy about AI this Halloween season:
- 55% of consumers in the UK, France, Germany and the U.S. still find AI technology "unsettling"
- 32% of internet users are annoyed by personalized marketing that violates their privacy
- 54% of consumers are creeped out by facial recognition cameras in-store
- 25% of users are less likely to use a mobile app that draws on location for personalization
47% of customers are frustrated with too many brand emails
Be careful not to let your marketing AI break out of the lab and wreak havoc on your unsuspecting customers. To avoid creeping out customers with AI marketing, here are 5 key strategies you can employ immediately:
- Adjust marketing pressure. AI engines can handle customer journey design and setting product recommendations, but marketers are responsible for keeping marketing pressure below "creepy" and "big brother" levels – so watch those automated triggers.
- Use AI to optimize marketing message send-times. Rely on AI engines like Selligent Cortex to choose the optimal send time and preferred device for every single customer on your list, based on long- and short-term engagement data.
- Enlist AI to translate customer intelligence into relevant offers. Nine out of 10 consumers will “ghost” a brand that sends too many irrelevant offers. Don’t be that brand. Let AI engines crunch real-time data from universal consumer profiles into on-taste, situational offers that are scary good.
- Fake AI will come back to haunt you. Not everything labeled “AI” actually delivers artificial intelligence, not to mention AI specifically for marketing. We have trained Selligent Cortex to automatically identify the consumer attributes and behaviors that are boosting campaign KPIs – and adjust campaigns accordingly.
- Use clean, reliable data. AI is only as “intelligent” as the data you feed it. Misspelled names, incorrect genders or addresses scare off customers forever. As the antidote, marketers are connecting their AI engines to customer data platforms (CDPs) that verify and integrate data across departments and touchpoints.
With Selligent Cortex, artificial intelligence (AI) meets human control.
To stop your AI marketing from roaming around town like a lost Frankenstein, our Selligent Cortex AI-engine provides the best of both worlds: It combines AI-powered marketing automation such as Offer AI and Journey AI with rich customer intelligence in a natively integrated customer data platform. Plus, marketers are always free to intervene with rules on what kind of customers are displayed exactly what kind of content. This combination of machine learning and human intelligence has been proven to boost conversion rates by up to 20 percent. Our marketing-specific AI-engine keeps learning and getting better – all by itself. Just don’t feed it after midnight!