We've been a customer of Selligent for almost 6 years and our relationship with Selligent has allowed us to be more 1-to-1: to be more relationship focused, be less batch, less blast and really communicate with our members
Retention Email Marketing
The right strategies in email marketing play a vital role in consumer retention. The right personalized email content can make a consumer click links to find more information on sales and products. The wrong email content can make a consumer confused or annoyed as they quickly click delete.
Best Practices in Retention Email Marketing
Finding new consumers costs 7x more, on average, than keeping existing ones.
Every interaction with a consumer is important when trying to cultivate a long-lasting relationship. A successful email marketing campaign expands customer reach through 1-to-1 relationship marketing, accurately collects data, and drives ROI in a cost-effective manner.
The best practices in retention email marketing begin with understanding these three factors:
- Law of attraction – Making connections with consumers who are ready to engage and buy
- Consumer initiation – Engaging consumers to purchase after the free trial period ends
- Effective engagement – Motivating consumers to stay active and loyal by meeting needs
Marketing professionals need to know their target audience, utilize detailed analytics, and implement personalization. Having the right consumer data will enable them to create targeted campaigns that deliver data-driven email content tailored for the consumer. Consider these tactics to employ in email marketing:
- Accurate identification – Retention email marketing succeeds when data mining, effective analysis, and integration of that information is utilized to accurately identify consumer triggers. The identification process includes evaluating the consumer’s profile, purchase history, consumer lifecycle value, and cross-channel engagement data. Email marketing campaigns become more successful when they are tailored to the individual interests, needs, and preferences of customers. Lifecycle marketing and omnichannel campaign management tools can assist marketing professionals in implementing effective real-time personalization strategies.
- Results monitoring – Precise monitoring will make certain the campaign is working. If it isn’t, productive changes can be made to ensure future success. Results are monitored through tracking opened emails, click-through rates, and conversions.
- Honing focus – Evaluate what is working and what is not. For example, a specific subject line may have captured the attention of consumers and caused them to open the email. Perhaps timing played a role, such as more emails were opened at night than in the morning.
- Unhappy consumers – Tracking the number of individuals who have unsubscribed from the email list is important. Analyzing characteristics they have in common can help marketers gain a better understanding of the law of attraction and how to retain consumers.
- Personalized content – Becoming an expert in personalizing content that engages consumers without overwhelming them is another vital skill in retention email marketing. Optimize content at the time of open based on location, weather, device, and timing to increase personalized engagement and customer lifetime value.
- Understanding consent – The consumer’s wishes should always be respected. Strive to fully comprehend the process of securing consent to protect the company’s reputation and avoid legal issues.
- Effective scheduling – The right email schedule can make the difference between retaining consumers or losing them—and negatively affecting the profitability of the business. Properly testing a schedule that motivates consumers without annoying them will increase the probability of success.
Examples of Effective Emails
Effective emails begin with a clear objective. Use a concise subject line to catch the consumer’s attention. Specific and brief content combined with a call to action can motivate the consumer to click links for more information, or even to purchase products. The following companies have seen success in consumer retention and increased sales by using 1-to-1 relationship marketing and segmentation.
- Joss & Main – This company achieved success through personalizing and optimizing outbound and triggered messages. The consumer’s style was always represented in personalized content while Joss & Main encouraged them to check out new and interesting pieces. This flash-sale site reliably delivered millions of personalized sales event messages that informed and motivated their consumers to purchase products.
- MyWay - This company is the largest car reseller in Belgium. Their successful “blackmail” email campaign reached 2.5 million people organically, with a target audience of students and their parents. MyWay used humor and personalization to fully engage both consumer segments. Banner ads gave students the opportunity to “blackmail” their parents with threats such as, “I’ll change the WiFi password,” or other humorous options. The parents then received personalized emails stating their child’s threat. For those who refused to comply, the “NO” option led them to a “last warning” landing page.
Utilizing the right omnichannel engagement solution will help marketers ensure that every consumer interaction is powered by real-time insight. Our track record with many notable brands speaks for itself.
Contact us today to embrace a Consumer-First Marketing approach.