We've been a customer of Selligent for almost 6 years and our relationship with Selligent has allowed us to be more 1-to-1: to be more relationship focused, be less batch, less blast and really communicate with our members
Best Practices: Email Marketing
Even today, 40 years after its invention, email is an essential marketing tool for businesses that want to engage and better communicate with customers. In this article, we will discuss the top three email marketing best practices to help you maximize your marketing efforts to reach, engage, and retain more customers.
Email Marketing: Top 3 Best Practices
Marketers who aren't refining mass email campaign strategies will inevitably be disappointed with their results. No matter how much effort you put into creating emails and updating mailing lists, you're only wasting time without getting clicks. The following list of best practices will help you create email marketing campaigns that work.
1. Identify customer triggers and use all available data. Several business leaders end up missing the mark when it comes to marketing through email because they have not made a real effort to get to know their customers. In fact, 80% of brands lack the customer data needed to drive effective marketing campaigns.
Rather than relying solely on a customer's purchase history or basic profile, take advantage of all of the channels and data available to you, including:
- Key events throughout the customer lifecycle
- Cross-channel engagement data
The more you construct your email marketing campaign to the specific needs, wants, and tastes of your customers, the more successful your campaign will be. Selligent provides omnichannel campaign management and lifecycle marketing tools to help marketers implement real-time personalization strategies.
2. Monitor your results. To get the most out of an email campaign, you should closely monitor how many customers the campaign is reaching. You can do this by:
- Tracking email opens, click-through rates, and conversions
- Paying attention to which efforts or strategies are working the best. For instance, are more customers opening emails with a certain type of subject line? Are more emails being opened in the evening than the morning?
- Tracking how many customers are unsubscribing to your emails and determining what they all have in common
3. Understand how much information is necessary to keep your users engaged and not overwhelmed. There is a fine line between providing your customers with pertinent information that appeals to them and burdening or bothering them. To launch a successful email marketing campaign, one important thing to consider is consent.
Consent can be the downfall of even the most well-intentioned sender or marketer. Without the right type of consent, you may be risking reputation, legality, and deliverability—all of which can negatively affect the bottom line.
After you consider customer consent, begin testing to determine an email schedule that will be effective without being cumbersome or too time-consuming for your contacts.
Selligent: Software for Better Email Marketing
Selligent develops online software that helps solve some of a CMO's biggest marketing challenges. Our easy-to-use features and real-time linking of behavioral and customer data will improve your engagement with today's hyper-connected consumer.
Move faster while cutting costs. Collect marketing data that will grow your return.
Contact Selligent today and started getting better marketing results!